I used to not like tomatoes. It was something about the texture. Then I learned how to make tomato concasse (for the French term concasser, to crush or grind). Tomato Concasse are tomatoes that have been peeled, seeded and diced. I have to admit that the Texan in me has shortened this proper French term to ‘concasse’d tomatoes’. Sorry high school French teacher.
I realized that I actually enjoy the flavor of tomatoes, it was just the skin that I didn’t like. So now I like to peel the skins when a recipe calls for tomatoes, and they really helps them stand out. I don’t always do this, especially when I just need some quick diced tomatoes for tacos or something. But when you want the dish to have a nice tomato flavor, then I recommend removing the skin. Also, have you ever made a tomato sauce and realize the skins were peeling and curling into the sauce? Making tomato concasse before hand would prevent that from happening.
How to peel the skin of a tomato
So you may be wondering how to peel the skin of a tomato. It’s pretty simple.
- Boil water in a pot with enough water to cover the tomatoes
- Turn the tomatoes upside down, and slice a small X into the bottom of the tomato
- Place into the boiling water for 30-60 seconds depending on the size of the tomato
- Have a bowl of ice water ready and when the bottoms of the tomatoes begin to loosen, place in ice water
- Let drain for a few minutes before peeling the skins. You should be able to gently pull them away from the tomato.
- To make tomato concasse cut the edges of the tomatoes off and remove the seeds and membranes. Dice the tomato pieces. However, this recipe just calls for peeled and sliced tomatoes.
I recommend letting the sliced tomatoes rest on paper towels for around two hours (turning over every so often) to drain any excess moisture. Since the tomatoes go directly on the crust, you don’t want them to be watery. After this we start to pile on the toppings! Bacon, green onions, basil, and more!
My Mom forwarded me this recipe last week though I did change it quite a bit. The original called for cup of mayonnaise and two cups of cheddar cheese. And it was also in a pie tin. That sounded a little…. off to me. I imagined a thick cheesey mayonaise-y tasting filling. So I made a tart instead, so the filling would be thinner, and I also used cream cheese and much less mayonnaise to make the cheese filling.
The cheese topping goes on top of the tomatoes, bacon, basil, and green onions, only to be topped with more bacon, basil, and green onions! The finished tart tastes delicious. The pie crust is flaky and salty, which worked well in this savory tart. The tomatoes are tender and flavorful, and do I even need to explain the deliciousness that is cheddar cheese and bacon? The green onions and basil also work well to cut through all the heavy flavors, to add a bright note.
Cheesy Bacon Tomato Tart
- 1 tart shell already baked
- 4 medium sized tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 4 oz Bacon 5-7 slices , cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup Green Onions chopped
- 1/4 cup Basil chopped
- 2 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Mayonaise
- 1 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded (I used smoked cheddar)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place tomatoes in a prepared tart shell. Top with half of the bacon. Set other half aside. On top of that sprinkle half of the chopped green onions and basil.
- Using a large spoon mix softened cream cheese until it is soft and easy to work with. Add shredded cheese, mayonnaise and black pepper and mix until fully combined. Drop by the tablespoon full onto the tart, pressing a bit to flatten to cheese mixture to cover more of the tart. The mixture will not completely cover the tart.
- Top with the remaining bacon, green onions and basil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Tips and Tricks
Begin by preparing the filling. It’s easy to prepare. Just cook up the bacon and beat the eggs and cream until you have a smooth paste. Once you have your ingredients, mix them together. You’ll want a smooth consistency. This dough will come together very easily. You can then mix in the chives and pour it into the tart case. Let the dough cool for a few minutes, then serve it hot or room temperature.
Prepare the tart by cooking the bacon in a skillet until crispy. Combine the cooked bacon with the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Then, spread it evenly over the dough. Then, roll the pastry and filling. Then, bake the tart for about 40 minutes. The tart will be ready in about 20 minutes. Once baked, serve it hot or chilled. But you can also serve it at room temperature.
Once the bacon is cooked, drain and allow the tomatoes to cool. This keeps the tart crust crisp. Then, add the cheese and bacon. You can also use crumbled blue cheese. It is the ultimate combination of sweet and tangy. It’s sure to please your guests. Once you’ve made this delicious tart, don’t forget to share the recipe with your family and friends.
The tart’s crust should be baked until it is golden brown. It is best to allow the tart to cool before serving it. However, you can also serve it at room temperature. If you want to make it more vegetarian friendly, you can replace the bacon with crumbled blue cheese. When serving the dish, ensure it is hot and bubbly. Then, it’s ready to eat.
A cheesy bacon tomato tart is a delicious treat for any occasion. The tart’s cheese is delicious and the bacon and tomatoes are perfectly balanced. A cheesy tart can be delicious and satisfy the taste buds of everyone. When it’s delicious, it’s always worth a try. Soak up its flavor and spiciness. Soak the bacon. This in the mixture and let it cool for at least 10 minutes.
The filling is easy to prepare. It is made up of egg and bacon and is cooked with cream and cheese. Once cooked, the filling should be added. Then, the tart is ready to be served. The bacon and tomatoes are delicious together. It’s a healthy and satisfying dish. It’s also a healthy way to satisfy your taste buds! Once you’ve tried it, you’ll thank yourself for the hard work you put into it!
To make this tart, combine the butter, cheese, and flour. Mix the ingredients well, and then use a fork or fingers to mash the ingredients together. Using a knife, cut the tart into slices. It should be cooked through, but you can also serve it at room temperature. It is best served hot or at room temperature. This tart will hold its shape for a couple of hours.
A Cheesy Bacon Tomato Tar is easy to make and a delicious appetizer for any special occasion. Its bacon and tomatoes are a great combination. You can use any variety of vegetables in this tart, from sweet cherries to a variety of herbs. Just make sure to keep the tart in a cool place and avoid overheating it. Once the toppings are placed on the tart, the cheese mixture will melt.