Chicken Fried Steak, also known as country fried steak, is an American breaded cutlet dish. It is made from beefsteak that has been dipped in seasoned flour. It is either deep-fried or grilled, and often associated with southern food. In its traditional form, the meat is pan-fried, but it is now also popular throughout the United States. Here are some reasons to try it.
I used to eat chicken fried steak every week. The sad thing is, this is when I was in high school. Obviously the patties were frozen, super unhealthy and sometimes if I could snag some extra lunch money, I would eat two! Oh.. the healthy diet of an American teenager.
But nowadays I don’t have to eat the frozen, unhealthy kind. I make it from scratch and it is so much better.
I make chicken fried steak often for Kyle, but have waited until now to blog about it. See, I didn’t usually follow a recipe for something like CFS (what the pros call it). I’m from Texas, it’s just instinct to know how to chicken fry a piece of cube steak! So the past few times I have made it I made sure to write down my measurements, so I can eventually share with you my CFS recipe. And here it is, ta da!
On the plate you will also see two of my favorite sides. My not-so-bad-for-you mashed potatoes and sugared pearl onions. Both are delicious and go great with the CFS. And both will be on the blog this week.
Chicken Fried Steak with Pan Cream Gravy
- 4 Tenderized Beef Cutlets Cube Steak
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1 TBS Salt
- 2 tsp White Pepper
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 TBS Butter
- Pan Drippings
- 2 TBS Butter
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 1 TBS Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Submerge the cube steaks in the liquid for at least 1 hour. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, corn starch, salt and white pepper.
- In a large frying pan add vegetable oil and butter and turn to high heat. Remove the cube steaks from the buttermilk and coat generously in the flour mixture.
- Once all the butter has melted and oil is hot add the cutlets two at a time. Lower the heat to medium high and fry on each side at least 3 minutes until browned and crispy. Remove from the heat and place on a paper towel before frying other steaks.
- Place on a rack in the oven while you make your gravy.
- Drain the oil from the pan, but don’t scrape it or clean it out. Add the butter to the pan and let melt over low heat (pan should already be hot from frying).
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan into the butter. Add the flour and use a whisk to form a roux. Turn heat to medium and slowly cook until aromatic and darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream a few TBS at a time while whisking with the roux to combine. When creamy add the rest of the cream and milk and mix with either a whisk or wooden spoon. Press out any lumps. Cook until thickened, around 3-4 minutes. Add seasonings and mustard.
- If too thick for your liking thin out with more milk. Remove steak from the oven and pour all over.
Tips And Tricks
The origin of this dish lies in the immigration of Germans to Texas between 1844 and 1850. The immigrants from Germany originally ate veal, but because beef was more plentiful in Texas, they adapted the recipe for beef. In the 1930s, this dish began to gain popularity, and it became widely known during World War II. As such, it is likely that its creation traces to the early nineteenth century, when the German immigrants migrated to Texas from Germany.
When preparing this dish, chicken fried steak is usually prepared in a three-step process. First, the meat is dipped in flour, then in a buttermilk and egg batter, and finally, in a fourth step, a coating of flour. The steaks can be served on their own, with mashed potatoes and gravy. For a delicious dinner with a twist, chicken fried steak is a must-have for the family.
While the term chicken fried steak is an American staple, its origins are unclear. The original use of the phrase is unknown, but it is thought to have originated in Texas. In fact, the earliest documented usage of the term was in a newspaper advertisement in Colorado Springs in 1914. The origins of this delicious dish are not yet known, but it has an enduring reputation as a safe, comfort food. So, if you’re looking for a recipe for chicken fried steak, here is how you can prepare it in two easy steps:
The process of frying steak is remarkably simple and fast. First, it’s important to prepare the steak before cooking it. The ingredients should be ready for frying. The oil should be hot and sizzling. The steak should be well-browned on both sides. Afterward, you should keep it warm in the oven. It’s also worth noting that chicken fried steak is the best way to enjoy fried chicken.
When preparing chicken fried steak, you should make sure to keep the meat at room temperature. Depending on how thin it is, it will take less time to cook. If the meat is too thick, it’s overcooked. Adding more liquid will make the meat more tender. If it’s too dry, it’s best to add more butter. The more you heat the oil, the more the steak will brown.
When cooking the steak, it’s important to ensure that it is cooked to perfection. The steak should be a golden brown color. If the steak is still not done, you should cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the oven. Similarly, chicken fried stew should be thick and flavorful. To make the gravy, you need to reserve about 1/4 cup of the frying oil. For the sauce, you should add shallots, garlic, and a tablespoon of flour. Once the flour is lightly brown, you should continue to cook it. Once the roux is ready, you can add the milk and stock.
As with all dishes, chicken fried steak should be prepared in batches. When frying a chicken burger, most of the fat will evaporate, leaving only the “crispies” from the meat crust. The meat can be served with mashed potatoes or vegetables or in a wrap. During a meal, you should have the perfect portion of both. If you’re serving more than one person, you can make a chicken burger and serve it as a sandwich.